Skip to main content

Anxiously Waiting

As my upcoming appointment at UC Davis for a second opinion approaches I can't help but feel a little anxious. These past few months I feel like I have been repeatedly ramming myself into a brick wall trying to get answers. I have taken notebooks full of questions into the hematologist and the only consistent word I have heard is no. There has been no explanation or reasoning behind it, just no. I am fighting tooth and nail to get an answer about what is going on with my body and what we can do so that I can start living life. Honestly, I haven't really been living. I think I've been going through the motions. I have missed out on my first two years of high school and numerous social events because of my bleeding disorder and honestly, I'm over it. I am so over living my life trapped within the world that is my bleeding disorder. I am ready to live a life where my disorder is not all of me. It will always be a part of me, I understand and accept that, but I need it to not constantly consume me. I'd love to be optimistic and hopeful about my upcoming appointment but I also feel afraid. I am so afraid that it is going to be the same song and dance that has been my life since I was diagnosed. I am terrified that I'll be challenged with the same wall that I've been struggling with the last few years. In the back of my mind I know I'll be able to handle whatever is thrown at me but in the meantime... it's been hard to keep a calm, open mind. I know that all I can do is walk into that appointment with my facts and my story and my questions and that I have to advocate for myself and that anything beyond is out of my control. I know that in the end, regardless, I'll be a stronger person and that all of this is preparing me for "the real world". I know that at the end of the day these experiences are pushing me to be a better advocate in the community and a better, more well rounded person. I know that whatever happens, happens and that we'll deal with it. I'm trying to be cautiously optimistic and stay positive...we'll see how it all turns out.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Bittersweet Reminder

   My most recent trip to the hematologist and my latest round of bleeding has left me feeling like I'm fighting a never ending battle. I've been consistently bleeding for about 4 weeks now with more pain than I have ever experienced. My meeting with my hematology team was less than encouraging. My lab work came back ok so they've decided to take me off Stimate due to a risk of clotting. I understand and appreciate where they're coming from but in the meantime what now? I haven't been seeing very good results from the Stimate anyways so I guess that in hind site it doesn't really matter... but it does. I feel like I'm insane. Well, if my labs are good does that mean I don't really have a bleeding disorder? What if this is all in my head? Am I just being a baby about it all? No. This is real, every part of it. Alright, my labs look good...awesome... but what are you doing to help relieve me of my symptoms? "You should set up an appointment with your ...

A Breath of Fresh Air

It's been a few weeks since my appointment at UC Davis and so much has happened that I've just now allowed the information from my appointment to really sink in. I was lucky enough to spend an amazing week in Sacramento, California and catch up with friends and family. The day after we arrived was the day of my appointment and to be completely honest, I was terrified. I have had such a negative experience throughout the last few years that the thought of having to go to a hematology appointment just throws me into an anxiety tailspin. I was lucky enough to be accompanied by both of my amazing parents. Since diagnosis, it has been my mom and I primarily dealing with appointments and infusions while my dad worked his butt off to provide for us, so I was really glad that my he could be there also. Walking into the area where they hold clinic I was immediately met with positive energy. Everyone was so amazing and kind. It was a breath of fresh air. We initially met with a...

My life. My disorder.

I’m struggling these days in having to explain my disorder to other people, specifically non-bleeders. There is this blatant disconnect, it seems, in my world and theirs. Some people understand, or try to the best of their ability, but more times than not I feel like I’m being second-guessed or judged. I feel like there is a line. Maybe I have subconsciously put it there or maybe it’s just there. Either way, I feel like when I’m with other people I’m on the other side of the line. Non-bleeders just don’t understand how something so tiny to them- a drop of blood and a band aide- can be life ending for me. Bleeders learn how to prevent these situations from being life ending and how we can be pro-active opposed to reactive but at the end of the day it’s just not the same. Another aspect that I find really hard to reiterate is the fact that I am NOT choosing to bleed. I am not suddenly bleeding because I choose to be. I am not covered in bruises by choice.   I feel frustrated...